Friday 18 December 2015

Chennai and Damascus - All about Hope

[Penned during the 2015 floods in Chennai when the rain refused to stop for three days]

The world outside is dim and dark
Sun is hidden behind the clouds of disdain
Chennai is hit by the strongest of storms
As ¹Baby Jesus smiles from beyond the seas

Draggled minds as dark as the outside
Set the eyes on a tireless search
Nothing is visible in the darkness, but
There..
a tiny ray finally finds its way through the thicket of trees!
O my beautiful ray of hope!
Filling minds with the colors of a bright sunny day

The ordeal definitely had an end
But the nebulous mind had to
see it,
feel it,
to be at ease.

*  *  *

As my finger slides through the smart phone screen to close the weather app
The ²story of Syrians in a news channel catches my eye

There is an instantaneous connect.

I could see myself sitting stolidly in the room with seven of my kids
I was looking at the floor while my husband described the plight
I quietly wondered how much the stitches on my torn plastic basin can endure.

The ordeal definitely had an end
But the nebulous mind had to
see it,
feel it,
to be at ease.

*  *  *

I realise...
that death of hope is the most terrible of states.


No amount of reading or visuals can reveal it to you
As when you sit astride your favorite comfy chair in the Chennai home
Straining your eyes to catch a glimpse of that tiny ray of hope!

(There is a purpose to all suffering)

Footnote:
¹ The ocean current considered responsible for the rains is El Nino, meaning Baby Jesus
²  The documentary on Syrians referred here can be found at this link.

1 comment: